Why Art Works is the summary of an evaluation study commissioned by North by NorthWest, a consortium of 12 publicly funded visual arts organisations who have come together to support, promote and develop the contemporary visual arts in Lancashire and Cumbria.
The member organisations are all different in terms of size, structure and offer; however they are all passionate about contemporary visual arts. North by NorthWest is sector-led and is part of the national Turning Point network.
The report makes a compelling case for supporting and exploiting the impact of the contemporary visual arts in Lancashire and Cumbria.
This case is illustrated by the Why Art Works benefits model, which identifies 10 key benefits categorised into three thematic areas:
- Creating better communities to live in
- Changing the way places look
- Changing perceptions of places
- Attracting and retaining talent, trade and investment
- Attracting higher value tourists
- Stimulating a creative economy
- Connecting communities to the world (and vice versa)
- Engaging communities with other agendas
- Changing the way people think, see and act
- Creating art for its own intrinsic worth
All ten benefits are supported by case studies from member organisations demonstrating how they present imaginative, inspiring programmes that deliver multiple, measurable benefits and a solid return on investment. Find out more by downloading the Why Art Works report.
Click here for more information about North by NorthWest and the member organisations.