The deadline to submit films for inclusion in Quays Culture this November has been extended to Friday 4th July. Quay Culture delivers world-leading public realm art programmes at MediaCityUK and Salford Quays.
On November 1st this year we are celebrating our second Quays Open Day, a free curated programme of events happening all over the Quays in just one day. Within this exciting programme, we will be featuring screenings of dynamic and groundbreaking work in a public screening space. As part of this we are launching a programme dedicated to northern artist film.
We are looking for artists and filmmakers in the North of England who are pushing the boundaries in artist film. We want to showcase a range of new, inspirational and challenging film art from emerging northern talent. We want excellent work that captures the imagination of the public, many of whom would be new to artist film.
The Artist Film Programme will include two strands for entries:
- a final year student strand
- a general open call strand
Both strands will be free to enter. Finalists will be judged by a panel of esteemed art and film professionals from across the North. There will be a first prize of £50 for final year student strand and £150 first prize for general open call.
We welcome artists and filmmakers currently residing in the North of England to submit their artist films that meet the following criteria:
- We will accept films that include (but not limited to) the following genres: Artist film, moving image, experimental film, photography in film, dance on film, experimental animation.
- Eligible films must not exceed 5 minutes in duration and must have been made no earlier than November 2011.
- Applicants must currently reside in North of England, which specifically includes North West, North East and Yorkshire & Humberside.
- Applicants within full-time education will not be considered for general open programme.
- Only applicants in final year of full-time higher education course (MA, BA, BTEC/NVQ at NQF Level 6) will be considered for student programme.
- Eligible films must not contain offensive material such as sexual content, strong language or violence. We aim to support artist work and want to challenge audiences, but we also acknowledge this is a daytime event open to all audiences regardless of age.
- By applying, applicants are accepting that Quays Culture can use multiple single frame images and up to 10 seconds of any of the selected films for press and promotional opportunities for the programme and for any related partners who support the programme.
- Entrants are responsible prior to entry to ensure no copyright has been infringed, and accept all liability for this in the content of their film for both audio and visual content.
Films that will not be accepted include: Narrative shorts or features, narrative animation, documentary or experimental documentary, music video.
How to Enter
To receive an application form please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or download from here. It is free to enter.
Entries can be submitted through by post or online. Film submission must be received by Midday 4 July 2014 - submissions will not be accepted after this time.
Entries must be accompanied by a completed application form. Copy and images from applications will be used/edited for printouts to be given to audiences who visit and for additional press and promotional opportunities by Quays Culture. Successful applicant will be expected to provide an exhibition copy (to our format needs) in DVD format so that final reel can be created. We will ask for this in July 2014.
Application form and DVD entries should be sent to this postal address;
c/o The Lowry. Pier 8, Salford Quays M50 3AZ
Due to the high number of entries anticipated we are unable to return any hard copies of material including copies of the film.
Online submissions should be emailed to email@example.com. Online entries can be accepted by submitting an active password protected hyperlink via Youtube or Vimeo on the application form. Online entries will not be accepted without the completed entry form.
Any queries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org