The Artists Fund is a community interest company led by Artquest, DACS and a-n the Artists Information Company to provide small grants to visual artists based in the UK: in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.
Established as part of an Arts Council England Catalyst grant, The Artists Fund is now open for applications for a pilot grants and commissions programme. Five grants of £1,000 and three commissions of £2,000 are available by open application process, with a deadline of 11am on 16 May 2016.
The Artists Fund will distribute small but transformative funds to artists, serving as a catalyst to further their work in any way required of, and suitable to, their practice. The pilot programme will be closely evaluated to help shape the future of the programme, and awardees will be asked to contribute to this aim.
Five grants of £1,000 will be made to visual artists who have been practicing professionally for a minimum of 3 years and are over 18 years of age, either as graduates or as self-taught artists. Artists with any visual arts practice are eligible to apply.
All grants will be for £1,000 and will be paid directly into the artist’s bank account, with 90% paid up-front; the remaining 10% will be provided after an evaluation interview.
Three commissions of £2,000 will be made to visual artists who have been practicing professionally for a minimum of 3 years and are over 18 years of age, either as graduates or as self-taught artists. Artists with any visual arts practice are eligible to apply.
The explicit aim of the commissions is to test the assumptions made in the art world about how artists can raise money using their practice, beyond selling their work, and the viability of how artists might earn in the future. We are seeking radical ideas to compile into case studies for the development of The Artists Fund and as a challenge to traditional arts funding programmes.